"He must, so know the starfish and the student biologist who sits at the feet of living things, proliferate in all
directions. Having certain tendencies, he must move along their lines to the limit of their potentialities."

John Steinbeck - Log from the Sea of Cortez

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Well, classes start Monday and we'll get busy here. I'll be using this venue as a supplement for the classes I teach. Another, slightly less formal way to share information with students. Maybe spark some interest that might otherwise lie dormant. It's something that I think is important, and I'm more than willing to try some unorthodox approaches. A little music, some movie clips... Who knows - maybe I'll sing.

That said, the content will shift a little as I focus on particular subject areas. This semester, that means Zoology (of the general and vertebrate varieties) and Evolutionary Biology. (Hi guys. Come on in. I hope you find something you like.) Might also slip some Biogeography in here, for some of my online clients. If you're saying, "Man, that seems like a lot of classes", you'd be right. Maybe too many. But, truthfully, I manage to stay on top of them pretty well. By working pretty hard. Not that that makes me anything special here. A lot of my colleagues work very long hours. For very low pay. You might be interested in taking a look at a comparison of salaries for faculty at the various state institutions. You'll note some huge disparities between the big research universities and the smaller schools. Including (especially?) mine. Of course, there's a lot of pressure at the big schools to turn out research and generate grant dollars. The pressure on my colleagues and me is take high school students (who've spent the last few years cheering, playing baseball, sending text messages, and filling out the occasional worksheet while their teacher reads the newspaper) and turn them into biologists. Just sayin'.

So anyway....




If you see me coming, better step aside. Especially if it's Thursday - that's lab day.

No comments:

Post a Comment